Show Your Mouth a Little Love
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and whether you’re celebrating with friends, or going out to dinner with your special someone, you want to feel confident about your smile. In fact, you want to feel good about your teeth every day for the rest of your life, right? The good news is you can show your mouth a little TLC and protect your smile for years to come.
By implementing the following habits on a daily basis, you’ll maintain your oral health and keep your teeth strong.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Drink water that contains fluoride. Fluoride promotes strong teeth.
- Floss at least once a day to remove plaque in between teeth.
- If you’re a caregiver, help the little ones in your home practice these habits.
If you want to keep your teeth for a lifetime, and make sure your mouth stays healthy, you may need to make some lifestyle changes. These adjustments will not only increase your oral health but your overall health.
- Do not use tobacco products.
- If you smoke, quit smoking.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- If you have diabetes, work hard to keep control of the disease. Diabetes puts you at risk for gum disease if left unaddressed.
Tips to Consider
When it comes to maintaining a healthy mouth, you need to be proactive. In most cases, catching a problem early gives you the best chance for less invasive and less expensive treatment. When you are proactive in your oral care, you can often prevent issues from forming in the first place.
- See your dentist at least once a year for routine cleaning and examination.
- Talk to your doctor about switching medication if your medicine causes dry mouth.
- If you are prone to experiencing dry mouth, drink plenty of water, chew sugarless gum, and avoid tobacco products and alcoholic drinks.
- Contact your dentist immediately if you notice the following:
- Sores in your mouth
- Discoloration on your teeth
- Pain in your teeth, gums, or jaw
- Sudden changes in taste
If you’re looking for a dentist’s office that can treat your entire family, contact us at Atkins and Anderson Dentistry. Our team is dedicated to serving the families of Bryan/College Station, Texas so you can feel good about your mouth and confident about your smile. Call us today if it’s time to schedule a routine cleaning and examination. If you have questions or concerns about your oral health, don’t wait to contact us.
Not any article